[darcs-users] Re: Initial impressions of darcs

Scott L. Burson Gyro at zeta-soft.com
Thu Aug 19 06:55:25 UTC 2004

On Wed August 18 2004 06:55 am, Björn Lindström wrote:
> Kevin Smith <yarcs at qualitycode.com> writes:
> > Scott's proposal (configurations via patchlines) sounds promising to
> > me. Without some capability like that, darcs won't meet my needs.
>
> I would like to wildly disagree. For me, darcs straight-forward handling
> of branches (namely - not handling them) is one of the main reasons for
> me liking it so much.

An interesting comment.  I'll have to get some experience with darcs to see if
I agree.

> From my point of view, the patchline proposal just seems to add
> unnecessary complexity to a mostly elegant design.

Well, my intention is to reduce the complexity of _using_ darcs.

But I think I understand the counterpoint, which is that it works pretty well
to just have one tree per interesting configuration.

Maybe what this comes down to is how easily and accurately one can predict
which configurations will be interesting.

-- Scott