[darcs-users] Initial impressions of darcs

Scott L. Burson Gyro at zeta-soft.com
Thu Aug 19 23:39:42 UTC 2004

On Wed August 18 2004 11:27 pm, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 18 Aug 2004, Dustin Sallings <dustin at spy.net> wrote:
> > On Aug 18, 2004, at 6:16, Kevin Smith wrote:
> > 	In arch, I can choose to have a branch not be automatically
> > replicated, but in darcs, I cannot choose to have a branch be
> > automatically replicated.
>
> I think leaving replication to external tools shows a kind of elegant
> simplicity.

This seems to be the crux of the disagreement.  Personally, if there's a kind
of information that many users of a package will need to maintain, and there
are certain operations involving that information that many users will need
to perform, I'm inclined to think that the package should maintain that
information and perform those operations rather than requiring users to code
them themselves.  Certainly, if it couldn't be made to do so without
compromising its ease of use more generally, that would be a counterargument;
but I'm not yet persuaded that that would be the case in this instance.

Anyway, I'm happy to drop the discussion at this point.  Let me get some
actual experience with darcs, and then maybe I can prototype the features I
have in mind (or maybe Tuomo will prototype his plan) and people can try it
out and see what they think.

-- Scott