[darcs-users] Re: Initial impressions of darcs

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Aug 20 01:31:22 UTC 2004

On 19 Aug 2004, Kevin Smith <yarcs at qualitycode.com> wrote:

> The bigger issue, for me personally, is that I had a hard time
> managing even three or four temporary branches in darcs. With effort
> and organization, I could have done better. But it was pretty
> unpleasant, and that was with *very* small projects, with only *one*
> developer in *one* location, and only *temporary* branches. I could
> imagine it being very painful on a larger and more distributed
> project.

For either tla, darcs, Subversion or CVS I tend to have

~/work/someproject/head/
                   cr123/
                   cr456/
                   cr8293/
                   doc/
                   freeze2.2/

(cr ~= bug)

In fact even ClearCase when I used it had something similar, if I
remember correctly.

When I'm done with a branch (e.g. the bug is closed) then I just
delete the working copy.  With darcs this would also delete any
unmerged changes.  I have incremental daily backups going back a few
months in case I lose something.

This seems to work out well for me.  Maybe you have more branches?

One thing I love that Darcs can do and the others really cannot is
pull particular changes from one CR working directory into another in
an organized way.

> As for your last statement, there really are *not* many other RCS's out
> there. Monotone and darcs seem to be the only free, cross-platform,
> actively-developed, distributed RCS's out there. I am optimistic that
> monotone will meet my needs.

tla isn't adequate on Windows yet?  (I haven't really been tracking
that.)

Anyhow, as you say, it's David's call.  I just wanted to say I like it
how it is.

--
Martin