[darcs-users] Re: Initial impressions of darcs

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Fri Aug 20 06:58:41 UTC 2004

Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> writes:

> On 19 Aug 2004, Kevin Smith <yarcs at qualitycode.com> wrote:

>> The bigger issue, for me personally, is that I had a hard time
>> managing [...]

> For either tla, darcs, Subversion or CVS I tend to have [reformatted]

> ~/work/someproject/
>          head/
>          cr123/
>          cr456/
>          cr8293/
>          doc/
>          freeze2.2/

IIRC, subversion recommends, but doesn't enforce, a structure like

     someproject/
         trunk/
         branches/
                somebranch/
                otherbranch/
         tags/
                v1.0/
                v1.1/

(The difference is of course that it's all a single repository, while
with darcs, each of the listed directories will be a separate repo
(I'm puzzled why you don't want doc as a subdirectory, though)

I think we really need a style guide or best practices document -
darcs really is a low level tool (in the sense of making simple things
simple), and there's a lot of flexibility.  We should document the
practices that work well somewhere (Wiki?)

-kzm