[darcs-users] a couple of features (logs & managing patches)

Ivan Stankovic pokemon at fly.srk.fer.hr
Fri Aug 20 08:22:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 07:00:03AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> Obviously the --delete-logfile would address your concern about
> accidentally re-using a logfile.
>
> If we make --logfile=foo simply be ignored if --foo doesn't exist, then you
> could safely add this to your defaults, without restricting yourself to
> always create a logfile.
>
> If we make --edit-long-comments have the result (when combined with
> --logfile) that the logfile is then popped up for some last minute editing
> of the comments, which I personally would find valuable.  This would imply
> changing the behavior of the --edit-long-comments option, in that it would
> presumably allow you to edit the patch name, as --logfile does, with the
> patch name being the first line.
>
> The only additional feature that people seem likely to want is the ability
> to flag part of the --edit-long-comments file as ignored, and to add a
> patch summary to the file before it pops up in the editor, so you can see
> what you're recording.

Sounds nice, definitely an improvement.  I also like Andrew's rerecord idea,
but somehow I think I wouldn't feel easy "changing history" so often (I got
the impression that rerecord is best used only on "emergence" situations, like
when you forgot to add an important change... but maybe I got it wrong)
Ivan Stankovic, pokemon at fly.srk.fer.hr