[darcs-users] Initial impressions of darcs

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Aug 21 12:36:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 04:27:39PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> I think you could get close to that by just rsyncing a.foo.net:darcs/
> onto each of your laptops each time you're connected.  You now have a
> replica that you should treat as read-only.  You can get from that
> replica to create branches at will.  I don't see any advantage to
> doing read-only replicas in darcs rather than through just copying.

Well, doing replication in darcs is more bandwidth, disk and cpu-efficient,
since rsync has to read and checksum each file and transfer those
checksums, while darcs just needs to read the inventories to know what to
transfer (and with luck won't even need to read the entire inventories).
But other than these efficiency issues, there's no reason to use darcs to
maintain a read-only mirror.
http://www.abridgegame.org