[darcs-users] Initial impressions of darcs

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Mon Aug 23 02:47:16 UTC 2004

On Aug 22, 2004, at 19:14, Martin Pool wrote:

> Right, so it would perhaps be safer and more efficient to do a kind of
> "foreach dir {darcs pull -av}", to make a local mirror of your server.
> My point is just that having a read-only replica is not so hard to do
> with darcs.

	Right, but you have to do both the initial get, and set up the other
side (at least in my case, the place from which I pull my trees is
pretty much never the place where I do any records).  That's the
difference.  I have shell scripts to keep my mirrors up-to-date, but
for each new project, I do the following:

	In arch, I just make a new category/branch/version and start working.

	In darcs, I initialize a new tree, and start working, then get it
bootstrapped in my central location, and then do a get on every host
where I want a mirror.

> The big thing Arch can do that darcs cannot is tell you the provenance
> of a patch.  (I understand that this is missing from bk as well.)
> Arch will let you see which branches a patch has moved through before
> ending up in a particular version.  Again, this might be useful for
> large projects, but it does tend to introduce clutter.

	Actually, I see it as quite the opposite.  I've got a branch of an
arch tree right now that has 12 patches in it.  When I merge that back
into head-of-line, it will appear as a single patch, however, it will
have the check-in messages of each patch.  If you want to see more than
that (i.e. a diff), you have to go get the branch.

	I think this is OK.  I like an integrate to come through as a single
patch.  If for no other reason, because it means branches provide an
easy way to consolidate changes in a tree.  It's almost like branching
cleans up a tree.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin at spy.net>