[darcs-users] Re: Initial impressions of darcs

Nils Decker gmame.news.nde at xoxy.net
Mon Aug 23 06:39:54 UTC 2004

Dustin Sallings <dustin at spy.net> wrote:
> 	Actually, I see it as quite the opposite.  I've got a branch of
> 	an
> arch tree right now that has 12 patches in it.  When I merge that back
>
> into head-of-line, it will appear as a single patch, however, it will
> have the check-in messages of each patch.  If you want to see more
> than that (i.e. a diff), you have to go get the branch.
>
> 	I think this is OK.  I like an integrate to come through as a
> 	single
> patch.  If for no other reason, because it means branches provide an
> easy way to consolidate changes in a tree.  It's almost like branching
> cleans up a tree.

Darcs could have a command push --as-single-patch that would combine all
(selected) patches in a branch. This patch would need to contain the
names of all contained patches, because on pulling this patch, all
patches that are contained in this patch need to be unpulled.

If would be nice, if the patch could be broken up into its parts again.

With this it would be possible to have a mainline with only high-level
patches like 'implemented X'. All details about the development of
feature X are contained in a single patch.

The combined patches should be able to nest.

Regards
  Nils Decker

--
Nils Decker <ndecker at gmx.de>