[darcs-users] request for clarification of 'get' docs

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Dec 2 23:25:21 UTC 2004

>   "The only catch is that the first time you run darcs push or darcs pull from
>    any of these second copies, by default they will access your first
>    copy--which may not be what you want.

> I think the key bit to clarify here is the word /access/. This is
> phrased in such as way that there might be a problem. What's the
> problem. :) What are the possible negative side-effects of this access?
> And exactly does 'access' mean here?

It means that when you do darcs push or pull, it will work against
your master clone instead of the upstream original.  That's because of
the way _darcs/defaultrepo is being set in the secondary clones.

_darcs/defaultrepo is a very nice thing, and darcs would be unusable
without it.  However, it can be confusing, which is why

  - darcs prints the target repo whenever it pushes or pulls;
  - I have ``ALL no-set-default'' in my .darcs/defaults.

                                        Juliusz