[darcs-users] first usage impressions.

Thomas Zander TZander at factotummedia.nl
Sat Dec 4 13:04:57 UTC 2004

Hi,

I just downloaded darcs (stable) and started playing with it.
My first impression is that some beginners mistakes on my side would
have been avoided if darcs was a bit more chatty.  If it commented
more on obvious pittfalls.

For instance; " darcs remove README" gave no reply, and I was wondering
why the file still existed on the filesystem.  A friendly person on IRC
pointed out that a 'rm README' would have implied the 'darcs remove'.
I suggest to either print an error saying the file still exists, or
print the current status. Something like:
    "Removed foo from darcs,  future changes will not be recorded"
naturally; this warning should not be printed if the file is already
removed from the filesystem.

While working on the above problem I also did a second remove.  I typed:
"darcs remove README" a second time and was presented with an error:
darcs failed:  Can't remove README
This is understandable; but a nice "README is not added" or similar
would help a LOT

What do others think?  Would it be worthwile to make darcs provide
a tad more text pointing the user in the right directions?

Another situation:
doing a "darcs pull ../../foo" gave me a "No changes" while pointing
to the same 'foo' using an absolute path did notice the changes.  Is
this a bug?

--
Thomas Zander