[darcs-users] Re: darcs patch (--executable-path) ...would like feedback here.

Alexander Staubo alex at byzantine.no
Sat Dec 4 20:36:23 UTC 2004

David Roundy wrote:
> Another option would be to store a path to darcs in the target repository
> itself.  This seems a bit ugly, but has a certain appeal to it, in that it
> means you'd only have to configure once per repository, rather than N times
> per repository, where N is the number of different computers you use...

That is the KISS version, which I would prefer. Special-casing often
throws simple systems into a vortex of non-intuitive kludges.

A setting like this should be as close as possible to the machine it
applies to, which promotes encapsulation; the target system knows best.

Imagine someone moving the Darcs binary and having to tell everyone to
modify their darcs-executable-mappings.

Can you not simply mandate that the user symlinks the Darcs binary into
_darcs on any such "non-standard" machines? Then Darcs can find this
symlink from the client end and use it.

(Windows does not have true symlinks, only directory-based "junctions",
so on Win32 it would have to be a text file.)

Alexander.