[darcs-users] Re: darcs2rss [was Re: darcs repo to RSS feed?]

Peter "Firefly" Lund firefly at diku.dk
Sun Dec 5 18:55:21 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Bennett Todd wrote:

> It's a nice thought, but sadly, env isn't always in /usr/bin. I've
> seen systems where it's only available in /bin.

But it is there (in /usr/bin/) on at least /some/ systems, probably
including all of those which have their perl in /usr/bin/.

Therfore, it will increase the portability at least slightly.

DIKU (Datalogisk Institut ved Københavns Universitet - Copenhagen
Univerty's Comp.Sci. dept.) has its computers set up with env in /usr/bin/
and their perl in /usr/local/stow/bin/ - that way they can support the
same version of Perl across many different operating systems and CPU
architectures.

(Solaris/Sparc, HP-UX/HP-PA, Digital Unix/Alpha, ??/IA64, Various
Linuces/IA32, *BSD/IA32, and probably more ...)

-Peter