[darcs-users] Re: more feedback on binary file detection

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Dec 6 23:37:01 UTC 2004

On 2004-12-06, Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> wrote:

> 2004-12-06T15:10:44 Mark Stosberg:
>> I tried to use Perl to find any ^Z or NUL characters in the file,
>> and it didn't find any.
>
> I've got a utility I find handy for finding out what bytes are in a
> file. You can pick up a copy from
><URL:http://bent.latency.net/bent/darcs/_darcs/current/freq-1.0/src/freq>.
>
> Once you know the exact byte value, it's easier to find.

This was a useful tool. I found that I had a lot of "^I" and ^J"
characters in the file, neither of which I'm aware that darcs cares
about.

There was some discussion awhile back about backing out the 'auto binary
detection code' or least re-working it significantly.

I'm going to find that now and turn it into a bug report, since this
issue is inhibiting my productivity.

    Mark