[darcs-users] Darcs needs very long to pull a patch

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Thu Dec 9 09:36:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Erik Schnetter wrote:

> I have a repository and try to pull a patch.  I believe this patch might
> have a conflict in a file.  The patch itself modifies the whole file,
> but isn't overly long and complicated.  (The gzipped patch has less
> than 10 KB).
>
> My darcs executable (version 1.0.0, Debian) has been working on this
> pull for 30 minutes (1200 MHz P4).  Memory usage is constant at 25 MB.
> I tried to specify an external merge tool because I suspected that
> merging might be the problem, but this tool is never called.
>
> I can pull this patch into other repositories which don't contain some
> of the changes in this repository.  I'm trying to merge in from a
> central repository, maybe resolve a conflict, and then push all my
> local recorded changes.
>
> What is going on?  How do I debug this?  What information could I
> provide?

This is already known issue. I have digged into it myself:

http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-November/004294.html
http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-November/004301.html

if you scan darcs' mailing list you will find that David Roundy currently
works on algorithms solving this.

Cheers,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com