[darcs-users] Faster get proposal

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Dec 11 20:05:10 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 08:56:54PM +0100, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Is the manual available so I can sent a patch?  Its really easy to create
> ~/.darcs/prefs/defaults instead of the correct ~/.darcs/defaults file, as
> there is no clear separation or summary for them on that page..
> I'd like to add a table with the prefs file locations and the priority which
> is given to it.

Yeah, the manual is in the darcs repository, and is in latex.  It's a bit
scattered, since the code is literate.  Often grep is the easiest way to
find the part you want to edit.  In this case, I think you'd want to edit
RepoPrefs.lhs.

> > > I find it wierd to have a command like: darcs pull -h print
> > > Why are the default settings options?  And just as important; why does
> > > darcs not complain about both summary and no-summary being provided on
> > > the command line?
> >
> > The default settings are useful when you've made global settings in
> > ~/.darcs/defaults but you want different settings for a specific
> > repository.
>
> Sure; I never meant to say they are not usefull or should be removed;  I
> just wished to make clear what will happen when you execute a command,
> which you can not find out currently at all.  There are two defaults files
> that you have to read, and even then you are not sure which hard-coded
> defaults there are.
> So, I'd like the "darcs foo --help" print the commands to change what it
> current not default as a solution.
> I was hoping someone else would give any feedback on this proposal, or maybe
> propose another solution to the problem.

Yes, that would be a nice feature.  It has indeed been suggested before,
and is certainly doable, but not trivial.  You'd want to have both the
default options and their opposites displayed, but with the default marked,
so that before you change the default you can see what you'll have to enter
to override it.
http://www.darcs.net