[darcs-users] Trouble building Darcs in Windows XP

Jackie Tung mkjt2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 22:09:54 UTC 2004

Hello all, I am new to this list, and I am really stuck trying to build
darcs from the source in winXP.  I took the following steps, would anyone be
kind enough to point out what I am doing wrong?:

1) I installed ghc.  Added c:\<ghc dir>\bin to PATH
2) I unzipped the darcs sources to c:\darcs
3) I installed MingW to c:\mingw\ by runnin MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe.
4) I installed the following:     MSys - MSYS-1.0.10.exe (c:\msys)
                                               MSysDTK - msysDTK-1.0.1.exe
(c:\msys)
          Then I extracted contents of msys-autoconf-2.59.tar.bz2 and
msys-automake-1.8.2.tar.bz2 to c:\msys, overwriting when necessary
5) Extracted zlib121-dll.zip to <tmp folder>\.  Copied zlib1.dll to
c:\windows\system AND c:\windows\system32 (as instructed in the zlib
instructions)
    Copied zconf.h and zlib.h in <tmp folder>\include to
c:\ghc\gcc-lib\include and to c:\mingw\include
    Copied zdll.exp, zdll.lib and zlib.def in <tmp folder>\lib to
c:\ghc\gcc-lib and to c:\mingw\lib

6) Downloaded mingw "dev" version (as the bin version didn't seem to have
any headers or libraries in it) of curl
(curl-7.12.2-win32-ssl-devel-mingw32.zip)
    Extracted to c:\curl, then copied c:\curl\libcurl.dll to the same
library directories as in 5).  Copied c:\curl\include\*.* to header
directories as in 5)

7) set PATH the include the required directories.
8) Used commands:  export GHC=/c/<ghc-dir>/bin/ghc.exe - OK
                                 autoconf - OK
                                 ./configure --disable-mmap --target=mingw -
FAILS
                                        Final error messages are:
                                            "checking for gzopen .... No"
                                            "checking for gzopen in -lz
......No"
                                            "configure: error:  Cannot  find
system's zlib library:  Please set the LDFLAGS env variable!"
Any ideas?

Jackie Tung