[darcs-users] $Id$

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 10:12:10 UTC 2004

Hi

I understand that darcs does not support cvs style $Id$ comments and I
totaly understand why as well. I even understand why it's a bad
idea.....

But.... (isn't there always one?)

We are currently using cvs and are using $Id$ quite alot and it's
extremly usable when installing things at our customers.  We are
mostly using perl and it's very very good to be able to know exactly
which version of a specific file they are using simply by looking in
the file.

A more darcs way to do this is ofcource to run a branch for each
customer but we are currently used to this kind of thinking and it
might take a while to get away from it.

Therefore my question is if it's possible to do this.  What I was
thinking is something like this:

In the central repository we have a test script that get's run
automatically, that checks which files have been changed and updates
their $Id$ strings and then either record that or change the patch to
include this change (I think the first one is the only option).

Do you think this is possible?

I've tried to read about the test suite but I find the documentation
somewhat lacking.  It talks about a temp directory but not where it's
at or what's in it?  Does darcs move everything to a temp dir where
you can run the tests? then if they are successful (which I assume is
a exit status of 0) it applies the patch in the mail repository?

Regards,
Erik

ps. For anyone that doesn't know what $Id$ does, it's a comment you
can add to the files in cvs that will expand to the current version
number of the file.