[darcs-users] Re: $Id$

Justus Pendleton justus at ryoohki.net
Tue Dec 14 14:52:41 UTC 2004

Erik Bågfors wrote:
 > I understand that darcs does not support cvs style $Id$ comments and I
 > totaly understand why as well. I even understand why it's a bad
 > idea.....

Erik,

I can't answer your question as I've only just found darcs and haven't
really used it myself, this is just based on my reading of the manual.
I also have no idea exactly how your release process works.  But it
seems like part your tag process prior to releasing to a customer could
involve updating the files to include information about what tag has
been applied to them.  So instead of simply running "darcs tag" you
would run "tag_script" which does update_tags && darcs tag.  Or perhaps
you could do something similar via darcs dist and the predist command to
update the files with some kind of locator information.  Or rather than
looking up files by version number you could do it via sha1 or md5 hash.
  Someone mentioned adding a darcs query manifest command that would
generate a list of files and their sha1 hash.  Throw a check against
that into a script called by darcs trackdown and darcs will find the
right version for you.