[darcs-users] $Id$

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Dec 14 16:11:05 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 16:04, Erik Bågfors wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:43:29 +0000, Ralph Corderoy
>
> <ralph at inputplus.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi Erik,
> >
> > > We are currently using cvs and are using $Id$ quite alot and it's
> > > extremly usable when installing things at our customers.  We are
> > > mostly using perl and it's very very good to be able to know exactly
> > > which version of a specific file they are using simply by looking in
> > > the file.
> >
> > But this is unreliable since the customer may have tinkered with the
> > file without altering $Id$.  Why not instead get the SHA1 digests, see
> > sha1sum(1) or gpg(1), of the customer's files and compare them against
> > your local versions. That will show what version of each file they
> > have, or if they have a file that has no local matching version, e.g.
> > one modified by the customer or corrupted in transport.
>
> Our customers shouldn't do that and in real life it's not a problem.
> Anyway, the thing is that we print the Id in the logfiles so when they
> have any kind of problem they send us the logfile. In there we can see
> exactly which version of the file they have.

In that case;
you should consider using "darcs replace" as a substitute to what most of us
use darcs tag for.
Simply do a darcs replace '$id$' with something like 'customer2004-12-12'
and ship that repo.

If you keep that 'replace'-patch local to that customer, and make sure you
don't push it to your central-repository, then you have just emulated your
previous release cycle, with the lone exception that all your files always
have the same tag.

I agree its not the most beautiful thing, but is the fact that its
compatible not much more important?

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander