[darcs-users] Re: darcs for /etc very slow

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Dec 16 13:03:39 UTC 2004

On Thursday 16 December 2004 13:52, Erik Bågfors wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:19:16 +0100, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 December 2004 02:08, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > > It's nice to present them in some 'ideal' order, but presenting them
> > > in /any/ order in a reasonable amount of time seems preferable to
> > > presenting them in an ideal order in an extremely long amount of
> > > time.
> >
> > This solution, naturally, begs the question how the user, or darcs is
> > going to decide when to use one, and when to use another.
> > We don't want to end up with wrong results simply because the user was
> > in a hurry.
> get:ing the darcs linux repo ate over 600MB of my laptops memory.
> That's kind of a showstopper for some projects.  Waiting hours to do a
> record is also a showstopper.  It's not a question of being in a
> hurry.

I think you misunderstood me;  (I was probably trolling to much, sorry).
The point is that if a quicker fallback is possible there has to be a
programmed (always correct) way to determine when that fallback is to be
used.  Thats all I was saying.

Don't worry; everyone here agrees with you that waiting for hours is not
acceptable.  The willingness to fix it is there,  all we are looking for is
a good, long term solution.

Cheer!
--
Thomas Zander