[darcs-users] Windows Problems, "The system cannot find the file specified"

Alexander Staubo alex at byzantine.no
Fri Dec 17 03:11:25 UTC 2004

Martin R. Fisher wrote:
> I'd expect a network error if the file was missing
> from the unix box??

I would, too.

When stuff like this happens, I generally reach out for Filemon
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml), a freeware
tool that monitors file system activity. Windows doesn't have strace,
but this is the next best thing. (Incidentally, does anyone know of a
similar tool for Linux?)

Start it, then run the Darcs comment, and see what Filemon prints out.
If Darcs is trying to open non-existent files or run non-existent
executables, you should see the problem as errors in the log for the
"darcs.exe" process (look at the result column).

If processes invoked by Darcs fail somehow, their failures will be
logged accordingly.

Alexander.