[darcs-users] installing server on FreeBSD

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Mon Dec 20 11:01:24 UTC 2004

On Sunday 19 December 2004 22:31, Ben Crowell wrote:
> I've been digging trying to install darcs and the darcs
> server on FreeBSD, and have a few questions and suggestions.
>
> It appears that the meta-Makefile that comes with the FreeBSD
> port has an undocumented option for installing the server,
> so the way to do it would be this:
>   make -DWITH_SERVER install
> This should be documented somewhere.

Either use http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html to request that the Makefile
echo information about the available options or document it yourself at the
wiki.

> The documentation says that "...make installserver, [...] installs
> the program darcs_cgi at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/darcs." Well,
> personally this gives me indigestion for several
> reasons:
>  - The directory given is correct on Linux, but not on BSD
>    (where it should be /usr/local/libexec/darcs/cgi-bin).

True, but the port messes with the paths anyway so there isn't much that can
be done upstream.

>  - To me, this sentence implies that /usr/lib/cgi-bin/darcs
>    is a directory, so the binary will end up being
>    /usr/lib/cgi-bin/darcs/darcs_cgi. In fact, the executable
>    file darcs ends up living in the directory
>    /usr/lib/cgi-bin.

Would s/ at / as / make more sense?

>  - It bugs me to have two completely different binaries,
>    both of which are named darcs.
>
> A somewhat disquieting thing about the BSD makefile is that
> is does stuff like this:
>   install -d //usr/local/bin
>   install -c darcs //usr/local/bin
> The double / seems to be OK, but it smells a little too much
> like a bug to me :-) (Anyone who can tell you whether the // is
> really truly the same as a single / is probably enough of a
> wizard to be able to tell you whether the true metaphysical meaning
> of /. is the same as / or not.)

It is OK. Quoting susv3: "Multiple successive slashes are considered to be the
same as one slash. "

HTH,
Aggelos