[darcs-users] darcs issues

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Mon Dec 20 19:27:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Neal D. Becker wrote:

> Hi, I'm new here at this party.  I've been trying to follow with close
> interest the various SCM developments for the past years.  I think what
> I've read so far regarding darcs tells me that the design is very
> interesting, and perhaps darcs would be a great candidate for world
> domination(tm).  There is one major stumbling block - and I would guess it
> may have been discussed here before - which is the implementation language.
> Haskell is not exactly your main stream language.  I wonder what you think
> of the idea of a re-implementation in a more main stream language.  I think
> anyone who likes elegant languages would probably like Python, which is
> very widely available.

Perhaps the best would be to look into the darcs' AUTHORS file and think
if you are really sure that you would see more contribution in case of
using different implementation language.

I personally find haskell darcs related hacking very fresh experience in
my professional career. Thought I'm perhaps a bit biased since I always
like new/novel/not-common good computer language designs...

BTW: What do you consider to be not-so-elegant on Haskell? What about to
give modern FPL a try?

Cheers,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com