[darcs-users] darcs issues

Marek "Baczek" Baczyński imbaczek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 12:44:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:34:16 -0500, Neal D. Becker
<ndbecker2 at verizon.net> wrote:
> There is one major stumbling block - and I would guess it
> may have been discussed here before - which is the implementation language.
> Haskell is not exactly your main stream language.  I wonder what you think
> of the idea of a re-implementation in a more main stream language.  I think
> anyone who likes elegant languages would probably like Python, which is
> very widely available.

IMO the biggest stumbling block for darcs is it's speed. Language is
(at least partially) irrevelant here; having to wait 2 days for a
complete import/record of large trees is unacceptable, but so is 2
hours. Darcs is _very_ *very* nice for small projects, but it just
doesn't scale. I don't know if it can be made to scale (from what I've
read there's some thinking going into that very issue), but I'd love
to see that, no matter what language it would be done with :)

--
{ Marek Baczyński :: UIN 57114871 :: GG 161671 :: JID imbaczek at jabber.gda.pl  }
{ http://www.vlo.ids.gda.pl/ | imbaczek at poczta fm | http://www.promode.org }