[darcs-users] error when I do 'darcs get http://www.abridgegame.org/repos/darcs'

Ben Crowell crowell04 at lightandmatter.com
Tue Dec 21 21:18:18 UTC 2004

Mark Strosberg wrote:
>Make sure you have write permission in the current directory, and try
>"get -v".

Thanks, Mark, for the fast reply! Unfortunately, your suggestions didn't
fix the problem.

I don't want to make this sound like I'm storming off in a huff, but at
this point, I've decided not to continue trying to use darcs, and I thought
I'd give a few impressions in the hope that they might be helpful. On the
plus side, I like David, the user community has been really helpful
and friendly, and darcs seems to incorporate some neat and innovative
ideas. But on the minus side:
- The docs contain a lot of mistakes (some of which I've tried to fix
  in the wiki, and some of which are in the manual itself).
- The error handling in darcs, darcs_cgi, and darcs.cgi is not very
  good. A lot of stuff fails silently, or with an uninformative message.
  I hope the patch I've submitted to darcs.cgi will be helpful in this
  regard.
- If darcs was written in a language I understood, then I might have been
  able to do better in handling some of these problems by reading the
  code. (And indeed, once I found out about the new perl version of the
  cgi, it became a lot easier to figure out what some of the cgi problems
  were.) But the fact that the main body of the code is in Haskell made
  this impossible for me in most cases.