[darcs-users] Re: patch-merge when pushing.

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed Dec 22 23:28:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Thomas Zander wrote:

> > > I would like to be able to merge my patches when I push them to the
> > > main branch.
> >
> > What benefit would this merge bring? It would seem that it would be easy
> > enough to do: darcs push -a and not worry about it.
>
> Well, I worry about code quality; something that in my experience is
> directly linked to the maturity and feature set of the code-managing tools.
>
> Benefits are multiple;
> Administrative: the patch really is just one patch and the changelog will
> reflect it as one patch.  The 'darcs changes' should as well, and
> backporting to a stable branch should as well.
> Technical: just using a subset of the patches might break the unit tests.
> Personal: my commit habits are of no concern to others.
> Proof-read:  my collegues will not be proof reading 15 patches which are
> kind-of-related since its incredably hard to read.  for example; a bug
> found in patch 1 might be solved in patch 5, making it really hard to keep
> track of things.
>
> I could probably think of other reasons :)
>
> I'll try to see how far I can get with the 'unrecord' idea.

Note that you should never unrecord patches that are present in other
repositories. So if you have multiple local repositories, you need to
unpull the patches from the other ones at the same time.

This is all rather tedious and error-prone, and it doesn't work when 'you'
is actually a group of people working together who then want to aggregate
patches for sending elsewhere, which might be for any of the reasons you
give above.

Cheers,

Ganesh