[darcs-users] Re: hardlink by default?

Neal D. Becker ndbecker2 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 24 12:38:58 UTC 2004

Alex Shinn wrote:

> At Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:34:41 +0100, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
>>
>> However... hardlinking would make sense if you could guarantee that when
>> you
>> modify a file, a new i-node is created, ie. by replacing the file.  Some
>> editors, like vim, seem to work like this, but it's not generally true.
>
> vim *only* does this for files with a hard-link count of 1.  Otherwise
> you'd effectively break the link with the other copies, which would be
> very bad.

Not necessarily bad, depends what you want.  In our case, breaking the link
is exactly what you want.

For the record, emacs (or at least xemacs) is programmable in this respect.

For the record, tla (arch) has an option per repository just like the one
I'm proposing here.  You turn it on if you're sure your editors will work
with it.