[darcs-users] Re: hardlink by default?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Dec 27 15:42:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 07:38:58AM -0500, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> For the record, tla (arch) has an option per repository just like the one
> I'm proposing here.  You turn it on if you're sure your editors will work
> with it.

An option (definitely *not* the default) to create hard links between
_darcs/current/ and the working directory would be all right.  It troubles
me a bit, though, because it does seem like just asking for repository
corruption.  All it takes is one program getting used once, which modifies
the file without replacing its inode, and you've got serious corruption,
and it's hard to guess when you'd notice.

So if someone implemented this, I'd probably accept the patch, but I'm not
likely to do this myself.  As Juliusz pointed out, linking with the
current/ of other repositories is planned, and this is safe, so long as
your programs don't recurse into _darcs/ and start modifying things, as has
been known to happen--but there isn't much we can do about that.
http://www.darcs.net