[darcs-users] Re: ANN: darcs.vim: a vim plugin to work with darcs

Srinath Avadhanula srinathava at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 21:04:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:20:46 +0000 (UTC), Mark Stosberg
<mark at summersault.com> wrote:
> On 2004-12-27, Srinath Avadhanula <srinathava at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ------=_Part_1280_13683416.1104191344426
> In general:
>  - I sometimes see error messages like "Can't find function Debug()".
>    They don't seem to cause a problem.

This problem was due to a missing file. I've made those functions
internal to darcs.vim so this should be no longer a problem.

> I like this. The interface is nice. I think I managed to 'break' it on
> my first tree, because darcs prompted me for my e-mail address, and the
> software wasn't ready for that:

Yes... As of now, darcs.vim assumes that the darcs prompt follows a
certain order. This might be fixed in the future, but for now, setting
_darcs/prefs/author works. The garbage below is expected in this case.

) [ynWsfqadjk], or ? for help:
> Fail: <stdin>: hGetChar: end of file

> Furthermore, the plugin should 'do what i mean'. If I'm not currently in a
> darcs repo according to my 'working directory', then the plugin should examine
> if the directories for the current file, which is what I expected to happen.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here.

> Also, the plugin allowed me to record a patch with a empty patch name, which it shouldn't
> do. In fact, I suspect that darcs shouldn't allow this at all.

I thought that darcs.vim already checks for this. Basically, it checks
to see that there is atleast something written by the user. The first
line automatically becomes the patch name.

>  Please be careful to make sure it's very difficult to modify files in 'current', though.
>  From this mode, I was able to easily make and save a change to the file
> in 'current' without even a warning. You could temporarily make that
> file 'read only', but it's probably safest to copy the file to a
> temporary directory first, just to insure that 'current' doesn't get
> modified by accident.

For now, I've used your first suggestion of making the
_darcs/current/* file readonly.

> I would like for one case to be handled specially when 'diffing'. If
> there are no changes, don't bother with showing me both files in a diff
> mode, since nothing useful can be done there in that case. Instead, just show
> 'no changes' in the status bar at the bottom.

I added this feature in the latest version.

> It would be great if there was interactive documentation for this,
> perhaps just sitting at the top of the 'console' window that's produced.
>
> Also, the console placed me right in the middle of the file. I expected
> it to drop me at the top of the file.

Both these things have been addressed in the latest version.

> Finally, when I actually tried this command, two more windows produced,
> but they were both completely empty and no explanation was given. (I
> /did/ expect to find some changes). Maybe my 'to' and 'from' where out
> of order? I doubt that would matter.

This might have been because of a recent bug.

Could you please check the latest version? I've put it at:

http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~srinath/darcs/darcs-2004-12-28.vim

Installation: Put the file above in your ~/.vim/plugin directory.
Overwrite the original darcs.vim file if you used the one from
yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback

Srinath