[darcs-users] Re: ANN: darcs.vim: a vim plugin to work with darcs

Srinath Avadhanula srinathava at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 00:58:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:35:05 -0500, Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 01:04:21PM -0800, Srinath Avadhanula wrote:
> >
> I'll try again: I was looking it at a particular file. When I ran one
> of the darcs related command, I expected the plugin to understand that I
> mean: "run this command in the repo that the file I'm looking at is in".
>
> Instead, it ran it in vim's notion of the "current directory". I think
> trying vim's 'current directory' as a first guess is a fine idea. But if
> that fails, don't give up there-- look at the active file and see if
> it's is a darcs repo that you can try.

Okay, this was due to a bug.. Hopefully things work better now...
Unfortunately, unless I know your workflow exactly, I cannot reproduce
the bug very easily. But I think I know what you mean and have fixed a
few things which should make this work better. Can you confirm this?

> - I forgot to mention this last time: Since this plugin seems designed to
> run in 'Gvim', I expect a graphical menu to appear that listed the vim
> related choices. That seems to be what the GUI is good for. :) Right now
> I have to either remember the commands or look somewhere else for a
> reference.

This is a TODO.

>  darcs.vim failure: You need to be in a repository directory to run this command.

Hopefully this failure will not happen again.

> I double checked that darcs.vim does not check for this. I tried this
> with darcs 1.0.1:
>
> 1. After console comes up, use 'A' to select all patches
> 2. Select "R" to record.
>
> I see this result:
>
> Finished recording patch ''
>
> #######
>
> After recording, is there any reason to leave the 'console' window open? I
> expected it to quit for me if the record was successful. If the record fails,
> it would be nice to leave the console window to explain why.

Yes. This was a bug. I forgot my regexp definitions in Vim. It should
work now. (I'm surprised darcs allows you to give an empty patch name
myself)

As far as closing the console window goes, I will add code to remove
it once I am convinced that darcs.vim is a little past beta. As of
now, the console window provides the user with feedback about whether
or not the plugin interacted well with darcs.

> Thanks. I'm still getting the empty files.
>
> I'm using:
>
>     VIM - Vi IMproved 6.3 (2004 June 7, compiled Sep  3 2004 17:35:32)
>     Included patches: 1-20

Hopefully, your getting empty files in the interactive diffsplit thing
was due to some bugs related to the repository changing etc. Do things
work with the latest version?

Here's a little page I've put up for the plugin:

http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~srinath/darcs/index.php

Srinath