[darcs-users] Re: ANN: darcs.vim: a vim plugin to work with darcs

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Dec 30 01:00:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 04:28:57AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > I would really love it if this ability was built into darcs itself.
> > Ideally, it should search from the file location rather than the current
> > directory since nested darcs repositories are not unheard of.
>
> In a number of cases, darcs /does/ recurse up the tree looking for a
> _darcs directory. What specific use-cases do you feel aren't adequetely
> addressed? Are you thinking something like this should be supported:
>
>  $ cd /
>
>  # Although the current directory isn't a darcs repo
>  # darcs will recurse up from file.txt to look for repos.
>
>  $ darcs diff /home/john/proj/file.txt

Yes. this is exactly what I mean.
In fact, I belive it should search from the files location (rather than
the current directory) first.

A common idiom is nested darcs repositories, where I have

project/_darcs
project/subproject/_darcs

and it would be nice to be able to do a

darcs add subproject/foo.txt

and have it add it to the subproject repo rather than give an error in
the repo in the current directory.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈