[darcs-users] Re: ANN: darcs.vim: a vim plugin to work with darcs

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Dec 30 14:20:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 05:00:48PM -0800, John Meacham wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 04:28:57AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > > I would really love it if this ability was built into darcs itself.
> > > Ideally, it should search from the file location rather than the current
> > > directory since nested darcs repositories are not unheard of.
> >
> > In a number of cases, darcs /does/ recurse up the tree looking for a
> > _darcs directory. What specific use-cases do you feel aren't adequetely
> > addressed? Are you thinking something like this should be supported:
> >
> >  $ cd /
> >
> >  # Although the current directory isn't a darcs repo
> >  # darcs will recurse up from file.txt to look for repos.
> >
> >  $ darcs diff /home/john/proj/file.txt
>

> Yes. this is exactly what I mean.
> In fact, I belive it should search from the files location (rather than
> the current directory) first.
>
> A common idiom is nested darcs repositories, where I have
>
> project/_darcs
> project/subproject/_darcs
>
> and it would be nice to be able to do a
>
> darcs add subproject/foo.txt
>
> and have it add it to the subproject repo rather than give an error in
> the repo in the current directory.

This would add a potentially confusing interaction if wishlist bug #20 is
implemented, in which case darcs would have to decide whether to add the
subproject directory to the current repository, or to add the file to the
subrepository.

There would also be potential confusion since you'd open up the possibility
of adding files to multiple repositories simultaneously, if more than one
argument is provided.
http://www.darcs.net