[darcs-users] Recording what patches have been pushed

David Roundy droundy at jdj5.mit.edu
Sun Feb 1 15:53:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:45:33PM +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> Is there a way to record what changes have been pushed? If for example
> I send patches for darcs and you don't integrate them, I am likely to
> forget it and push them again even though you don't want them.

Hmmm.  That would be a handy feature.  It's sort of the complement of a
feature request from a while back, which is to be able to indicate patches
from a remote repository that you don't want to pull.  It would be nice to
implement both features using a similar interface.

I'm imagining something like an interactive "i" command, which would stand
for ignore.  The 'i' command could add the patch name to a
_darcs/prefs/ignored_patches file.  Then on an interactive push or pull,
any ignored patches would be skipped.  Probably we'd prefer to leave the
ignored patches in the "maybe" state, so if you choose a patch that depends
on the ignored one you'll end up pulling (or pushing) the ignored patch as
well.  The only catch is what to do when --all is used.  I guess the
obvious answer is it should skip the ignored patch... but should it also
skip any patches that depend on the ignored patch?

I'm imagining that one ignore list for both pushes and pulls would be
fine.  Might one also want to use ignore on records? Perhaps there are
changes to the working directory that one would like to never record (such
as, perhaps, setting "-prof -auto-all" in the makefule).  In that case the
entire patch would need to be put into _darcs/prefs/ignore, since it hasn't
been named.

What do you think?
http://www.abridgegame.org