[darcs-users] rollback

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Feb 8 21:34:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 01:32:50AM +0100, Tommy Pettersson wrote:
> Matias Hermanrud Fjeld skrev:
> > Setting the environment variable "EDITOR" works for me.
> > Try 'export EDITOR=vim' before running darcs. This is in darcs 0.9.15.
>
> That doesn't work for me, but encouraged by your success
> story ;-) i really did some bug-searching.
>
> I use nvi.  (I usually set EDITOR to just vi since that is
> a symbolic link to nvi.)  First I must mention that it works
> absolutely fine with every other program I use.  The problem is
> nvi won't run if stdin or stdout is anything else but tty:s,
> and apparently darcs or haskell redirects at least one of
> them to something else when invoking the editor.
>
> If it is to exotic to amend this in the source, here is a
> remedy to put in the manual that will help fellow nvi users.
>
> export DARCSEDITOR="nvi <$(tty) >$(tty)"
>
> Life just feels so much better now!  :-)

I tried tracking this down, to the point of copying a whole bunch of
working code from mutt into darcs, but to no avail.  :( If anyone has any
idea how to properly release the tty so that when I fork and exec vi it
will work right, I'd love to hear how to do this.  Until then, I've added a
little blurb about this trick to get vi to work to the manual.
http://www.abridgegame.org