[darcs-users] Tracking third-party software

Sean E. Russell ser at germane-software.com
Tue Feb 17 14:07:42 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 06:47, David Roundy wrote:
> Trying to use the darcs patch format outside of darcs itself doesn't really
> seem useful to me.  If you don't keep track of the precise version to which

Oh, heck... I can change your mind about that.

I have a project that I maintain primarily in darcs, but I also have to
maintain it in somebody else's CVS tree (it is the XML parser for the Ruby
language).  So, I do all of my development work in darcs, and occasionally
cross-port it to the Ruby tree.

Right now, I just run diff across both trees when I want to merge them, but
being able to dump a diff directly from darcs -- including comments -- would
be pretty handy.  This is because there are a couple of files that I change
in the CVS, and running diff across both trees right now destroys those
changes; a darcs diff dump would preserve these changes when I patched the
CVS tree.

To make matters worse, I also maintain the tree in a Subversion repository,
which is its legacy repository, and from which I run the distribution
scripts, so a single darcs diff could be applied to both secondary
repositories; right now I run through the diff process on both.

So, it is definitely useful; the question is whether what I'm doing is common
enough to make it useful enough to implement.  I was going to say "probably
not", but a lot of traffic on this list is about discussions about
cross-repository-architecture issues, like maintaining trees between darcs
and CVS.

--
### SER
### Deutsch|Esperanto|Francaise|Linux|XML|Java|Ruby|Aikido