[darcs-users] building under MacOS X

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Feb 25 13:02:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:11:56AM -0800, Vadim Zaliva wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2004, at 4:46, David Roundy wrote:
>
> >That would be great! I've been feeling guilty for ages about not
> >preparing any sort of MacOS packages myself.  I haven't used fink
> >myself, although perhaps I will some day.
>
> I was finally able to build it. Situation on MaxOS X 10.3 with building
> Darcs is pretty bad now. Main issue is that make 3.79 (shipped with MacOS
> X) and even make 3.79.1 (installed via fink) have bug:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-make@gnu.org/msg01409.html
>
> Somehow this bug exhibits during darcs build with 98% probability.
> I was tweaking makefile and somehow managed to build it at the end,
> but I do not understand how I did it.

I seem to recall that sometimes 'make -e' works around this bug... for some
reason (I have no idea why) I haven't been bitten by this bug in quite some
time.  I'm still on MacOS 10.2, but the make is the same version... I have
no (or at least very little) idea why it works for me now.

> I think it would be great if somebody would distribute binary packages
> for darcs. Looks like fink is not an option now, until they upgrade to
> newer version of make.

I'll see about trying to create at least a .dmg of a statically linked
binary, perhaps by the next release.
http://www.abridgegame.org