[darcs-users] Re: "suspending" a patch

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Feb 26 13:00:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:23:09PM +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> > Good point, though this will then lead to some renaming since in this
> > kind of situation I usually want the original repository location to be
> > the one that has the changes reverted.
>
> You can also use "darcs revert -a" and get the work in progress from
> _darcs/patches/unrevert.

Apart from cloning the repo, this is probably the best idea, but it isn't
entirely robust, since if you do another revert, you lose the unrevert
information.  Oh yeah, but I think that Ganesh had already recorded his
changes, so the revert option probably wouldn't work.

Really, the best thing to do is to clone the repo with darcs get.  Assuming
you're on a decent file system (which means not nfs, I believe), this won't
actually create copies of all the patches, so it won't take long and won't
take all that much space (just the equivalent of two copies of the working
directory).

The problem of having extra copies of patches that aren't in the repository
lying around would be that for each patch you'd have to keep track of its
context, so you'd have a (potentially) complicated tree structure to deal
with, and when reapplying those patches you'd have to deal with merging and
conflicts.
http://www.abridgegame.org