[darcs-users] Re: "suspending" a patch

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Thu Feb 26 16:35:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, David Roundy wrote:

> Really, the best thing to do is to clone the repo with darcs get.  Assuming
> you're on a decent file system (which means not nfs, I believe), this won't
> actually create copies of all the patches, so it won't take long and won't
> take all that much space (just the equivalent of two copies of the working
> directory).

It's mainly a problem for me of clutter; I'd much rather have a bunch of
patch files hanging around than a bunch of directories each containing a
complete copy of my project. Less confusing later on.

> The problem of having extra copies of patches that aren't in the repository
> lying around would be that for each patch you'd have to keep track of its
> context, so you'd have a (potentially) complicated tree structure to deal
> with,

Right, yeah - I hadn't quite twigged that the inventory was responsible
for remembering the patch dependency information.

> and when reapplying those patches you'd have to deal with merging and
> conflicts.

Yeah - but obviously that will happen whatever solution I use.

Thanks to you both for the advice.

Cheers,

Ganesh