[darcs-users] Re: Removing a file in darcs

Samuel Tardieu sam at rfc1149.net
Thu Feb 26 17:44:57 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Ganesh" == Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> writes:

Ganesh> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Samuel Tardieu wrote:

>> When one records a removed file in darcs, why does darcs first
>> propose a change which empties the file then a change which removes
>> the file?

Ganesh> Isn't this necessary for the changes recorded to be
Ganesh> reversible?

Yes, but the operation that ought to be reversible is the remove
operation. darcs will put a dependency on changes affecting the given
file.

Ganesh> Yes, but the two are recorded differently. In the emptying
Ganesh> case no removal change is recorded.

That's my point: both operations are different. A removal is not
equivalent to an emptying plus a removal. Emptying a file doesn't
propose you to remove the file, while removing a file propose you to
empty the file first.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam at rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam