[darcs-users] testing suite takes a long time

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Feb 27 11:09:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 08:38:33PM -0500, Samuel Bronson wrote:
> Why does it take so long? Isn't it a waste of time to compile it with -O
> when you are going to throw it away as soon as the tests are done? I'm
> reluctant to make another patch if it will take that long to test.

The unit test sometimes takes an infinite amount of memory when compiled
without the -O option.  But you are welcome to skip the test when recording
simple changes (particularly if you've run a compile and tested any
commands you changed), since I'll test any patches you send in anyhow, and
I'll test them on a different machine than the one I develop on for this
very reason, to avoid interrupting my workflow (or playflow... since darcs
is a hobby?).

It *would* be nice for darcs to have no memory leaks whether or not we
optimize, but I just haven't been motivated to find where the problem is
once I knew that compiling with optimization on fixes it.
http://www.abridgegame.org