[darcs-users] Looks nice. Noob questions.

Art Griesser a_griesser at acm.org
Sun Jan 4 04:56:12 UTC 2004

I had no problems building GHC and Darcs under Mandrake 9.2, setting up a
repository with 10 mb source, moving the code around and altering it, and
recording the changes.  I do have a few questions, though.

When backing up a repository (not just the head), what do you need to
save? Is _darcs/patches enough?

Can _darcs be located in a sibling to the working directory, instead of
above or in the working directory? I nearly accidently editited the files
in _darcs/current due to overzealous greping: that would be harder to do
if I could move the repository a bit further away.

There are ways to check changes in one repository (diff, annotate, and
changes), changes between a reposity and the working directory
(whatsnew), but there does not seem to be a direct way to compare the
contents two different repositories. Without that, how do you know what
to push or pull? Perhaps you could use a pull or apply, and decline or
discard all the changes, or manually compare "darcs changes", but it
seems like there ought to be a better way. Am I missing something?

You need to explicitly schedule the addition of files, but deletions are
scheduled automatically. This does not seem consistent?

Thank you for writing this excellent tool.