[darcs-users] tag name listing

Matias Hermanrud Fjeld mhf at midgard.midgard
Sun Jan 4 12:44:26 UTC 2004

Hello.

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 10:38:43AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 06:26:19PM +0100, Matias Hermanrud Fjeld wrote:
> > How do i print the current tag name of a repository?
>
> I suspect you may have a misunderstanding of what a tag is in darcs... I'm
> not sure what you mean by the "current" tag name of the repository.  In
> darcs, a tag is just a name given to a particular version of the tree, so
> there's no reason that the current version should correspond to a tag.

I'm sorry. I misunderstood tag and patch. What I mean is; how do i print the
current patch name. By "current", i mean the last recorded/applied. My
understanding of "patch name" is that it is similar to RCS's revision
number, except that it can be any string.

Or am I totally misunderstanding Darcs? Can one apply first a patch,
then another patch from earlier on.

I have never really used any revision control system, and my only
experience is from playing with RCS. RCS implements automatic string
substitution in files (for example, $Revision$ explands to $Revision:
x.x.x$). Is there any way to achieve something similar in Darcs? For
example, when I do 'darcs dist', can I have Darcs automatically replace
"VERSION" (or any other token) with the current patch name in all files
of the repository?

I guess the way to do this would be to apply a set of scripts to a copy
of the recorded edition of the tree, before it is made into a tarball.

--
Matias Hermanrud Fjeld
http://www.hex.no/mhf

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the demigodic party.
		-- Dennis Ritchie