[darcs-users] Looks nice. Noob questions.

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Jan 13 18:52:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:25:42AM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
> Kevin Smith <yarcs at qualitycode.com> writes:
>
> > 1. whatsnew would default to --summary (for speed)
>
> How about an alias for 'darcs whats --sum', e.g. 'darcs status'
> which is what cvs and svn uses?  I see we already have 'darcs diff',
> so that gives us three ways to view changes to a repository.
>
> (Generally, I think it's a good idea to try to not be too inventive
> with the names of new commands, easing the transition from other
> systems.)

Agreed, but where the commands do different things (see below) it is a
better idea to be inventive.

> Also, perhaps 'commit' as an alias for 'record', and perhaps a bit
> more dubious, 'update' for 'pull'?

Well, update for pull is actually a bit better than commit for record.  The
problem is that cvs commit does both a record and a push, so calling record
"commit" seems more likely to confuse than help users coming from cvs.

In the case of pull and update, the picture is a little better, with the
only difference between darcs and cvs coming if you pull from more than one
repository.  However, the symmetry between pushing and pulling is enough
that I think forcing people to use push/pull may help them to more easily
grasp how darcs is used--in particular, if I want to contribute changes to
someone's repo, asking him to "pull" the changes from mine is probably more
intuitive than asking him to "update" from mine.
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/