[darcs-users] tag name listing

Matias Hermanrud Fjeld mhf at hex.no
Wed Jan 28 13:22:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:00:12AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:44:26PM +0100, Matias Hermanrud Fjeld wrote:
> > >
> > > I suspect you may have a misunderstanding of what a tag is in darcs... I'm
> > > not sure what you mean by the "current" tag name of the repository.  In
> > > darcs, a tag is just a name given to a particular version of the tree, so
> > > there's no reason that the current version should correspond to a tag.
> >
> > I'm sorry. I misunderstood tag and patch. What I mean is; how do i print the
> > current patch name. By "current", i mean the last recorded/applied. My
> > understanding of "patch name" is that it is similar to RCS's revision
> > number, except that it can be any string.
>
> > Or am I totally misunderstanding Darcs? Can one apply first a patch,
> > then another patch from earlier on.
>
> Yes, patches can be taken out of order, so the "current" patch name doesn't
> really describe the current version in a global manner.
>
> > when I do 'darcs dist', can I have Darcs automatically replace
> > "VERSION" (or any other token) with the current patch name in all files
> > of the repository?
> >
> > I guess the way to do this would be to apply a set of scripts to a copy
> > of the recorded edition of the tree, before it is made into a tarball.
>
> I think I explained this in a different email... you can use the "predist"
> prefs option to do this.

After rewriting autoproject in python, fooling around with automake and
autoconf, looking at the darcs package and reading lots'o'manuals,
I'm now finally beginning to understand... Darc patch names are *not* the
same as RCS's revision control numbers. I was thinking about automatically
replacing the patch name (as if it was a version number). That was wrong.
I now have set up autoconf to do that for me. :-) I *finally* have gained
understanding of how GNU packages are built up, and what to do with all
those strange, intimidating files. Yay!

The only thing I am wondering about now is how the ChangeLog in the
darcs repo is managed. Is it autogenerated?

--
Matias Hermanrud Fjeld <mhf at hex.no>
http://www.hex.no/mhf

Why is it called a funny bone when it hurts so much?