[darcs-users] Current Pull Attempting to Overallocate

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Wed Jan 28 18:24:13 UTC 2004

David Roundy <droundy at jdj5.mit.edu> writes:

> This is a very ugly trick, which I'll probably have to give up on.  The
> problem it tried to fix was that the ghc garbage collector never decreases
> the size of its heap, which means that if darcs ever grows its ghc heap
> beyond the amount of RAM available, it will be forever swapping until it
> exits, even if the amount of memory actually used goes back down.

Interesting - I have a similar problem; in that my program allocates
too much memory and keeps thrashing.  Ideally, I'd like to detect the
amount of RAM dynamically, and do the equivalent of the RTS option
limiting the heap size to physical memory size.  I don't think this is
currently possible with GHC, perhaps we could bug the maintainers for
the functionality?  (I'd rather have my application abort, than swap
close to forever...)

-kzm