[darcs-users] Darcs and binary files question

David Brown darcs at davidb.org
Sat Jul 3 03:34:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 07:05:30PM -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:

> Maybe a better approach would be the use of a variation of LZ77 to
> produce a difference from old to new.  Of course, the goal isn't
> compression, but the compression scheme is predicated on finding
> differences and similarities between binary files.

The challenge from the darcs perspective is that the encoding needs to
have several characteristics (correct me if I'm wrong, David):

  - reversible.
  - commutable.

The reversible isn't that hard, but the commuting of differences is the
challenging part.  Using file offsets instead of lines, and the existing
darcs approach would probably work, though.

Dave