[darcs-users] Darcs and binary files question

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at falvotech.com
Sat Jul 3 14:59:34 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 July 2004 06:31 am, David Roundy wrote:
> Mostly, I haven't optimized the space use of binary files simply
> because they don't seem particularly useful, and aren't very
> interesting (mostly because they shouldn't commute).  I know that
> there are people who use them, and I have one in the darcs repository
> (the logo, in PNG format).

Understood.  I was asking because I'm going to undertake some Forth
software development, and I'm the kind of guy that prefers blocks to
files.

Blocks do not have carriage returns or other control characters; a single
block is a fixed 1024 byte `index card', which more often than not is
used to hold source code, laid out as 64 columns and 16 rows.  Unused
regions of a block are just padded out with spaces.  Used this way,
blocks are sometimes also called `screens.'

Therefore, as far as Darcs would be concerned, if I were to add the Forth
environment's block file to the source tree, it'd look like a text file
with only *one* 1024*N (where N is the number of blocks in the source
I'm working on) character long line.

I wouldn't worry about supporting something like this.  There are other
solutions I can persue.  But if Darcs did proper differencing on binary
files, I could use that to manage my blocks as a binary file instead of
as a text file.

Oh well.  There are other approaches I can use (e.g., converting the
block source into a proper file prior to darcs record, and converting it
back to a block after darcs get); I was just trying to be lazy.  Thanks.
:)

--
Samuel A. Falvo II