[darcs-users] always long comment

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Mon Jul 12 18:06:19 UTC 2004

On Jul 12, 2004, at 6:52, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> btw, for simple stuff like I've been doing, darcs has been far easier
> to work with than CVS or arch.  tried replicating repositories once
> which wasn't terribly successful but I chalk that up to lack of
> knowledge. Hopefully, will be playing with that again soon.

	I did my first project entirely with darcs over the weekend:

		http://bsdboy.west.spy.net/itunes/

	As my name isn't Kevin Britten, it obviously failed me miserably!  :)

	Overall, it worked out pretty well.  I use arch for most of my
projects, and am pretty happy with it.  Not being able to push via
webdav is a bit inconvenient, but not too bad.

	My only concerns so far are really in scaling.  Branches are really
heavy, and all of the patches end up in the same directory.  After a
lot of changes to a project, this directory can get pretty large, which
will perform poorly on some filesystems.  I've got arch trees with
thousands of patches, but branching (or rolling a version or something)
will prevent the development line from getting too long.

	Conceptually, I like it a lot...I'm just a bit skeptical as to how
performance may degrade over time.  Anyone with experience with this?

--
Dustin Sallings