[darcs-users] always long comment

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Jul 13 08:40:54 UTC 2004

> After a lot of changes to a project, this directory can get pretty
> large, which will perform poorly on some filesystems.

That's a pet peeve of mine.  Hashtables have been known since the
1960s, B-trees since the early 70s.  Why are there still filesystems
that use linear search in directories?

There's a vicious circle here.  Because for so many years filesystem
designers didn't know their job, programmers worked around that by
building databases above the filesystem instead of using the
filesystem as a database.  Conversely, because programmers built their
own toy database anyway, filesystem designers didn't bother learning
their job.

At last, we've got reasonable filesystems.  So please, please use
Reiserfs, use XFS, heck, even JFS, but don't request that people build
yet another database within every application.

(And *yell* at the FreeBSD folks, who still use linear searching, even
in UFS2.)

                                        Juliusz