[darcs-users] "don't pull this patch now or ever again"

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Jul 14 11:22:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:58:55AM +0200, Bjrn Lindstrm wrote:
> I'm about to set up revision control of configuration files with darcs
> for a few different UN*X accounts.
>
> Now, these are a bit different. I don't run all programs on all of
> them. In particular, I only need mail, IRC, etc. config on one of the
> accounts.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> Am I asking for trouble if I'm juggling patches between these accounts,
> without keeping them in total sync. I.e. I will often reject patches
> that affect files that I don't need on the pulling side.

I think you should be ok here.  It'll be a bit of a pain because of the
second issue...

> How do I do, when I'm pulling, to say "don't pull this patch now or ever
> again". Now, if I reject a patch, it will ask me about it again every
> time I do a new pull. (...or push, for that matter.)

There isn't currently a nice way to do this.  I have an idea how it could
be done, but won't be implementing it soon myself, especially since my
wrist is acting up at the moment.

You can approximate the behavior you might want by naming all your
"universal" patches with an "everyone" in them, and then doing

pull --patches everyone

when you want all but the mail/IRC etc changes.  Another approach would be
that if all the files for mail/IRC etc were added in one patch, you'd only
need to say no to that patch when pulling, because all the other patches to
those files depend on that patch.
http://www.abridgegame.org